UPDATE: As of July, 2018, we no longer need additional guides for the Halloween 2018 season. However, we encourage you to send us your materials anyway if you think you are a good fit, and we will keep your resume on file for the future.
Guiding at Boroughs of the Dead is a part-time gig, and takes place mostly on evenings and weekends, though from time to time weekday tours do happen, and preference will be given to those with a flexible schedule. Our busiest time of year is October, and new hires must be available during that time. Paid training and evaluations usually take place over the course of the spring and summer with a view to having new hires trained in time for our busy season.
This is the perfect job for creatives/freelancers looking to add another gig to their roster of work, or for the professional tour guide who has always wanted to explore the dark side of NYC!
What we offer:
- A truly fun and entertaining job where you get paid to tell ghost stories!
- Compensated training and assistance obtaining your NYC tour guide’s license if you don’t already have one
- A chance to take our tours for free while you learn the ropes
- A fair, friendly, equitable working environment run by a working writer and tour guide
- Plenty of lead time in scheduling that respects your time and other work and creative commitments
- Pay commensurate with industry standard rates, plus tips and performance bonuses
- Room to grow and contribute to the company in meaningful ways
- Support and encouragement for your tour guiding career and other projects
- Opportunities for education and enrichment
- Amazing fellow tour guides to work with
- The best holiday party in the ghost tour business!
What we look for:
Our ideal candidate possesses a genuine interest in all things macabre and NYC history, and the proven ability to tell an enthralling story. We are looking for someone who can weave together a narrative in the unique BotD style that our customers love. Storytelling abilities and a firm grasp of NYC history are equally important qualities for our guides.
Specifically, our ideal candidate will:
- Be familiar with our tours and our brand; if you have taken one of our tours, let us know!*
- Be extremely comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Be able to think on their feet and adjust to situations as they arise
- Be able to synthesize and absorb large amounts of information
- Be scrupulously punctual and absolutely reliable
- Be able to research independently, and have a genuine interest in New York City history
- Be an excellent storyteller, with proven and demonstrated abilities; if you can provide us with samples of your work, so much the better
- Demonstrate an interest in the strange, dark, and unusual
- Possess an interest in horror/weird/speculative fiction and/or films
- Be willing to obtain a NYC guides’ license if needed
- Be able to commit to our training process and be available to work in October
* Our full schedule of public tours is available here
Please send a cover letter and any applicable links to or samples of your work to info[at]boroughsofthedead[dot]com. If you have a resume that lists relevant experience, feel free to send that as well. Please let us know where you heard about this job (Twitter, Facebook, friends, internet search, etc.). No phone calls please.